Holiday party season is going to be here sooner than you think! Are you planning your menus yet? Maybe I’m getting a little ahead of myself, but as soon as we have one chilly, gloomy, breezy Chicago day, I can’t help but start fantasizing about Autumn and Winter festivities.
Do you have that one family member you always have to make something for at your party? Or maybe that person is you – my Uncle Steve always had to bring me and my sister Fruit Stripes Gum, and my Aunt Liz always had to bring us a giant sugary mountain of snack cakes and potato chips. My love for processed snack foods will never die.
Anyways, this one is for my Aunt Anna, who always requested one of those cheese balls at my family’s holiday parties. A forewarning: this cheese is super tangy, super onion-y, and you will definitely need to brush your teeth after. Or don’t, if that’s your thing.
Makes approx. 2 cups
Farmer’s Cheese, Unsalted – 8 oz.
Butter – 2 TB, room temp.
Dijon Mustard – 1/2 oz.
Hungarian Paprika – 1 TB
Caraway Seed – 1/2 tsp.
Salt – 1 pinch
Red Onion – 1/4 of whole, chopped
Green Onion – 2 stalks, chopped
- In a bowl, combine the farmer’s cheese and butter. Use a fork to cream the two together until there are little to no lumps. This is easier if you leave your butter out for ten minutes or so beforehand.
- Stir in the Dijon mustard.
- Add paprika, caraway seed and salt. Mix thoroughly.
- Add both onions, and mix thoroughly.
- To serve, you may present in a bowl with crackers and veggies for dipping. I personally like filling other produce with the dip, and then using other veggies to scoop it all up. Bell peppers make a great bowl for a cheese spread!
It was that easy, guys! Check out all my other food thangs and see what I’ve been up to in foodie land!